Positive Train Control (PTC)
Whether it’s a train derailment accident, train crash, or a railroad crossing accident, the rail industry has made several safety advancements that have saved lives — but there’s also new technology available that hasn’t been implemented, and several train companies have lobbied Congress to push back deadlines to implement life-saving technologies, like Positive Train Control (PTC).
- Over $1 Billion – the amount taxpayers have loaned to railroad companies to help implement safety technologies
- 45% – the percentage of passenger trains equipped with PTC
- 48% – the percentage of freight trains equipped with PTC
- 52% – the percentage of passenger train employees who have been trained to use PTC
- 20% – the percentage of passenger railroad tracks compatible with PTC
This has resulted in a number of accidents that could have been prevented.