Lead Paint Poisoning

Paint is the most common source of lead poisoning in children, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Anyone living in homes that were built before 1978 could suffer from lead poisoning paint chips or dust from lead paint is ingested.

Paint is not the only source of lead poisoning. Other common household objects may contain lead which can pose serious risks to families, and especially those with children. Some of the most common causes of lead poisoning include:

  • Drinking water
  • Cosmetics
  • Toys
  • Jewelry
  • Ceramics
  • Imported foods
  • Batteries
  • Some Consumer Products

Children under seven-years-old face a higher risk of developing learning disabilities after suffering from lead poisoning. Even low levels of lead can disrupt a child’s mental development.

High-levels of lead have been linked with the following conditions in children:

  • Behavior and learning problems (such as hyperactivity)
  • Headaches
  • Slowed growth
  • Damage to the brain and nervous system
  • Hearing problems

Adults are also at risk for lead poisoning. Some conditions affecting adults include:

  • Memory and concentration problems
  • Muscle and joint pain
  • Difficulties during pregnancy
  • Nerve disorders
  • Reproductive problems (in both men and women)
  • High blood pressure
  • Digestive problems

The Federal Government has banned the use of lead-based paint in homes, but many homes may still contain layers of this dangerous paint if the home was built before 1978.

Because children exposed to lead paint can suffer severe injuries, including brain damage, these children and their families may be entitled to compensation.

If your child or family member has suffered lead poisoning, call The Barnes Firm now or contact us any time to speak with an experienced lead poisoning attorney.

The Barnes Firm 1-(800) 800-0000

For in-depth information on lead paint poisoning and other lead-based products, visit any of the following links: