- June 28, 2022
- Barnes Admin
Brentwood, CA – An accident between an Amtrak train and a car occurred Sunday, June 26, 2022, at the intersection of Orwood Road and Bixler Road near the Bloomfield Vineyards property. The train was operated by BNSF Railway.
According to police, a Honda Civic crossed the train tracks on a dirt road crossing where it was hit by the train. The crash sent the car about 60 feet into a parked SUV. Three women, Julia Mondragon, Maria Nieves, and Mercedes Regalado were killed in the crash. Three others were injured in the crash and transported to the hospital.
The train crossing has no railroad crossing gates, lights, or signals. The owner of Bloomfield Vineyards stated he has repeatedly tried to get BNSF Railway to install a proper railroad crossing at this intersection as trains frequently go over 80mph through this area.
According to the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), approximately 60% of all railroad crossing fatalities occur at unprotected crossings. In this devastating accident, the family of the victim should have their investigative team evaluate all aspects surrounding the crash. This includes reviewing:
- Determination why there are no railroad crossing gates, lights, or warning signals at this train crossing
- Evaluation of train safety guidelines
- All eyewitness accounts of the crash
- The route the train was traveling
- Speed the train was traveling
- Train maintenance history
- Police accident report
- Any video evidence of the crash
- Phone and texting records of the driver
- Any testing of driver for drugs and alcohol
- Any history of driver with drugs and alcohol
- Accident history on this road
Railroad Accident Attorneys
At The Barnes Firm, our experienced and trusted team of attorneys have represented many families affected by railroad disasters and are available to help answer any questions.
The Barnes Firm: (800) 800-0000