- March 17, 2022
- Barnes Admin
Mountain View, CA – 13-year-old, Andre Retana, was killed Thursday, March 17, 2022, after he collided with a transport truck around 8:15 a.m. while riding his bicycle to school. The collision happened at the intersection of El Camino Real and Grant Road.
The teen was transported to the hospital where he later died. According to police, speeding, alcohol, and drugs do not appear to be factors in this collision. The crash remains under investigation.
Unfortunately, over 800 cyclists were killed on U.S. roads last year. Most bicycle accidents can be traced back to an inattentive driver.
Bicycle Accident Investigations
In this horrible accident, the family should have their investigative team evaluate all aspects surrounding this collision. This includes reviewing:
- Blind spots on this vehicle
- Video from the two gas stations at the intersection and determination if the tire store or parking ramp have video on location.
- Driving records
- Driver overtime records
- The route the truck was traveling
- Recent maintenance history
- Driver accident history
- Vehicle accident history
- Dispatcher notes regarding this trip
- Video from the truck
- Copy of company’s driver attentiveness system report
- Police accident report
- Any testing of driver for alcohol and drugs
- Any history of driver with alcohol and drugs
- Phone and texting records of the driver
- Inspection of intersection
- Accident history at intersection
- Evaluation of why the city has not approved bike lane plans for El Camino Real
- Evaluation if the crosswalks are located and striped per code
- Timing of traffic signals
- All eyewitness accounts of the accident
Bicycle Accident Attorneys
At The Barnes Firm, our experienced and trusted attorneys have helped more than 50,000 clients get the best result possible and have found that some common causes of bicycle accidents include:
- A car turning directly in front of a bicyclist.
- A vehicle entering the street from a driveway or parking lot.
- Driver fails to yield at an intersection (running a stop sign or traffic light).
- Driver not paying attention while driving near a bicyclist.
- Driver under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Driver distracted by their phone
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bicycle crash, contact an experienced bicycle accident attorney at The Barnes Firm for a FREE consultation. From the first phone conversation through to the final settlement, the team of attorneys at The Barnes Firm will work hard for you every step of the way. Call (800) 800-0000 today. It could be the best call you make.
Location of Crash – El Camino Real and Grant Road