- December 11, 2019
Most of us feel a tinge of discomfort when driving alongside colossal trailer trucks. The feeling’s natural. Our best truck accident lawyers say these trucks weigh tens of thousands of pounds and are often carrying thousands of pounds of cargo. Truck accidents often result in fatalities or catastrophic injuries which can affect a person’s freedom of movement and/or cognitive functions for the rest of his life.
The thousands of commercial trucks and buses on roads are frequently involved in tragic accidents each year. Too often, they result in death. Here are some interesting statistics you should be aware of when sharing the road with trucks.
Truck Accident Facts and Statistics You Should Know
Each year, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), runs a report to gather insights about large truck and bus crashes in the United States. Keep in mind that per this report, a large truck is any truck with a gross vehicle weight rating of greater than 10,000 pounds.
The Large Truck and Bus Crash Facts 2016 report found:
- In 2016, 4,440 large trucks and buses were involved in fatal accidents, a figure that shot up 2% from 2015
- From 2015 to 2016, the number of fatal crashes involving large trucks or buses increased by 6%
- In 2016, an estimated 119,000 injury crashes involved large trucks or buses
- 3,864 of the 475,000 — or 0.8% of reported crashes involving large trucks were fatal crashes
- 104,000 or 22% of all reported crashes involving large trucks were injury crashes
- From 2015 to 2016, the number of large trucks involved in fatal crashes increased by 3% from 4,074 to 4,213
- The number of large trucks involved in fatal crashes per 100 million miles traveled by them remained constant at 1.46 from 2015 to 2016
How You Can Avoid A Truck Accident – And What To Do If You’re Involved In One
It’s crucial to exercise caution when sharing the road with commercial trucks. Drive defensively and try to predict the truck driver’s next action. Being patient and giving the truck room to maneuver will go a long way in keeping you safe.
When you become involved in an accident that causes you to spend considerable time recovering, it’s important to connect with an experienced semi truck accident lawyer. The Barnes Firm’s team of compassionate trucking accident attorneys understand the hardships associated with getting back on your feet after a rough crash. We’re available to help you around the clock, simply contact us for a free consultation.
The Barnes Firm Injury Attorneys (800) 800-0000