- April 10, 2022
- Barnes Admin
Pedestrian Hospitalized After Being Struck by Bus
Merrick, NY – A 70-year-old man is in critical condition after being struck by a school bus on Monday, March 28, 2022, around 12:40 p.m.
According to the Nassau County Police Department, the bus collided with a Ford F-150 pickup truck on the corner of Merrick Avenue and Benson Lane causing the bus to drive over a sidewalk and strike the man. There were no children on the bus at the time of the crash. Both drivers were transported to area hospitals with minor injuries. The investigation into this crash is ongoing.
The victim, identified as Marc Kopman, 70, succumbed to his injuries on April 9, 2022.
Last year, over 60,000 pedestrians were injured by a vehicle. Anyone injured by a bus should have their investigative team evaluate all aspects surrounding this collision. This includes reviewing:
- Vehicle blind spots
- Driving records
- The route the bus was traveling
- Recent maintenance history
- Driver accident history
- Vehicle accident history
- Video from the bus
- Video from the cleaners, barber shop, restaurants, or office building on this corner
- Police accident reports
- Any testing of driver for alcohol and drugs
- Any history of driver with alcohol and drugs
- Phone and texting records of the driver
- Inspection of intersection
- Timing of traffic signals
- Accident history at intersection
- Evaluation if the crosswalks are located and striped per code
- All Eyewitness accounts of the accident
It is important to evaluate all vehicles and debris involved in any bus accident to help determine causation and speed.
Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
As one of America’s largest injury law firms, The Barnes Firm has helped many clients injured in tractor-trailer accidents and have found that some common causes include:
- Distracted Driving
- Failure to yield right of way
- Aggressive driving
- Inexperienced driving
- Alcohol or drug involvement
- Backing up unsafely
Our trusted and experienced pedestrian accident attorneys have helped thousands of people injured in pedestrian accidents get the best result possible. From the first phone conversation through to the final settlement, the team of attorneys at The Barnes Firm will work hard for you every step of the way.
Call (800) 800-0000 today for a FREE case evaluation. It could be the best call you make.
Location of Crash – Merrick Avenue and Benson Lane