- March 17, 2022
- Barnes Admin
Charleston, MI – Heavy fog caused more than 70 vehicles, including many tractor-trailers, to collide and pileup the morning of Thursday March 17, 2022. The collision occurred along Interstate 57 near Charleston, Missouri.
Police say the initial crash occurred around 8 a.m. and triggered a chain reaction, ultimately creating a crash scene over a half a mile long. Many tractor trailers set on fire after the collision, smashed, or their contents emptied onto the interstate.
At least 6 deaths have been confirmed by local authorities because of the crash. Officials are still investigating the role foggy conditions played in this pileup.
Tractor-trailers can be over 30-feet long and weigh up to 80,000 lbs. Truck accidents are more likely to result in serious injury or death, especially when multiple tractor-trailers are involved in a pileup accident. It is critical for the family of anyone involved in a serious crash to perform an independent legal investigation and preserve evidence. This includes reviewing:
- The role weather conditions played in the collision
- Blind spots on this vehicle
- Driving records
- Driver overtime records
- The route the truck was traveling
- Recent maintenance history
- Driver accident history
- Vehicle accident history
- Dispatcher notes regarding this trip
- Video from the truck
- Copy of company’s driver attentiveness system
- Police accident report
- Any testing of driver for alcohol and drugs
- Any history of driver with alcohol and drugs
- Phone and texting records of the driver
- Inspection of highway
- Accident history on highway
- Any eyewitness accounts of the accident
It is important to evaluate all vehicles and debris involved in any truck accident to help determine causation and speed.
Truck Accident Attorneys
As one of America’s largest injury law firms, The Barnes Firm has helped many clients injured in pedestrian accidents get the best result possible and have found some common causes of truck accidents include:
- Inexperienced drivers
- Distracted driving
- Speeding or reckless driving
- Congested roads
- Inadequate vehicle maintenance
- Improperly secured loads and equipment
The Barnes Firm is committed to helping our clients get the best result possible for their case. The experienced and trusted team of truck accident attorneys at The Barnes Firm will work hard for you, from the first phone conversation through to the settlement.
Call (800) 800-0000 today for a FREE case evaluation. It could be the best call you make.
Location of Crash – Interstate 57 near Charleston, Missouri