- April 23, 2022
- Barnes Admin
Brooklyn, NY – 26-year-old motorcyclist, Zohn Sherman, was killed after being struck by a drunk driver on Friday, April 22, 2022. The accident occurred on Avenue P near West 4th Street.
Police say 64-year-old Hector Ortiz was driving a Jeep Liberty when he made a turn and collided with Sherman. Sherman was ejected from the motorcycle and taken to Maimonides Medical Center where he was pronounced dead. Ortiz was taken into custody and charged with vehicular manslaughter, aggravated driving while intoxicated with a child and unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle.
Drunk drivers cause more then 17,000 deaths each year. It is critical for anyone involved in a serious crash to perform an independent legal investigation and preserve evidence. This includes reviewing:
- How much alcohol was in the driver’s system
- Where the driver was drinking
- Blind spots on the vehicle
- Video from apartment buildings or dentist office on this street
- All eyewitness accounts of the accident
- Police accident report
- Any testing of the driver for drugs and alcohol
- Any history of driver with drugs and alcohol
- Phone and texting records of the driver
- Accident history on this road
- Evaluation if road is striped per code
- Timing of traffic signals
- Inspection of road conditions and signage
Car Accident Attorneys
As one of America’s largest injury law firms The Barnes Firm has helped many clients injured in motorcycle accidents and have found that some common causes include:
- Distracted driving
- Disobeying traffic laws
- Alcohol or drug use
- Texting and driving
- Inexperienced driving
At The Barnes Firm, several of our motorcycle accident attorneys ride themselves and understand first-hand how quickly a motorcycle accident can happen and how unexpected the injuries can be. If you or a family member have been injured in a motorcycle accident, contact an experienced motorcycle accident attorney at The Barnes Firm. From the first phone conversation through to the final settlement, the team of attorneys at The Barnes Firm will work hard for you every step of the way.
Call (800) 800-0000 today for a FREE case evaluation. It could be the best call you make.
Location of Crash – Avenue P near West 4th Street