- October 14, 2019
- Barnes Admin
LOS ANGELES — We enjoy calm, sunny skies throughout the year in California, but we do get some inclement weather. Did you know: When rain or other intense weather moves across the state, people have a higher chance of being involved in a car accident on the roadways.
Why do weather events increase the risk of car accidents in California, and how can motorists stay safe? Our best Los Angeles car accident lawyer explains…
Reasons Weather Events Increase the Risk of Car Accidents in California
Studies show that higher numbers of car accidents occur during rain and inclement weather events. This is true even when rainfall is light. Any time the roadways are wet, there’s a higher risk of being involved in an injury-causing car accident.
A Los Angeles car accident lawyer says some of the reasons that inclement weather affects traffic and the potential for accidents include:
- Precipitation – Precipitation affects visibility on the roadways, friction on the pavement, and vehicle performance. During wet weather, drivers have less traction and can lose control of their vehicles more easily. Precipitation also tends to slow down traffic, potentially creating backups that can increase the likelihood of rear-end collisions.
- Fog – Fog is a more common occurrence in California, and while it might seem harmless, it has the potential to cause accidents. Fog decreases visibility for drivers, particularly in dense fog events. This can lead to more car accidents, as drivers are not able to see other vehicles or judge distances between vehicles.
- Wind – High winds can affect drivers’ abilities to see and to stay in their lanes of travel. When dust, debris, or precipitation are blowing across windshields, drivers will have a harder time seeing the road. Wind can also cause drivers to veer into another lane or off of the road.
- Hail – Not only can storms in California bring heavy rain, they can also occasionally feature hail. Hail affects driver visibility and changes driver behavior. Drivers might quickly brake, stop, or pull over during a hail event, which can result in collisions with other vehicles.
Knowing the ways that inclement weather can influence traffic, it’s important to understand actions you can take to protect yourself and your family.
Tips for Avoiding a Car Accident During California Inclement Weather
You can be proactive before you drive and follow safety rules to avoid a car accident during California inclement weather. Some tips to follow both before and during a weather event include:
- Maintain your tires and windshield wipers – When rain hits California, two of your best defenses against a car accident are your tires and your windshield wipers. Worn tires and windshield wipers will make it much harder for you to maintain control on the road and ensure a clear sightline. Make a habit of regularly checking the condition of your tires and wipers to lower your risk of a car accident in a weather event.
- Reduce your speed – Your ability to control your vehicle during inclement weather is largely dependent on your speed. It is imperative that you allow yourself enough time and space to react to circumstances on the roads. A lower speed will also minimize damage in the event of an accident.
- Make sure your lights are on – During a rainstorm or other weather event, you want your vehicle to be as visible as possible to other drivers. Turning on your lights is the best way to help other drivers see you and to increase your own ability to see on the road.
Weather events in California do increase the risk of car accidents, but by understanding the effects of weather on your driving and the steps you can take for safety, you will be better prepared for traveling in all conditions.
What To Do If You’re In An Accident
You now know how to avoid an accident when there’s inclement weather. However, that doesn’t mean other drivers know how to handle their vehicles in wet or windy conditions. Speed and distractions can easily put you in a bad position, even when you’re following the rules.
If you’ve been injured by a negligent driver, it’s important to protect your rights! You may be owed significant compensation after a car accident, but you only have a limited time to file a personal injury claim. At The Barnes Firm, we’ll put our best Los Angeles car accident lawyer on your case so you can feel confident you’re going to get the best result possible. To get started, call us or contact us online for a FREE case consultation.
The Barnes Firm (800) 800-0000