San Jose Slip and Fall Attorney
Slip and fall injuries are common in San Jose and throughout the country. The causes can range from uneven pavement to slippery floors, but proving who is at fault for your injuries can be difficult.
At the Barnes Firm, our attorneys have dealt with slip and fall cases in San Jose, and they are here to answer your questions and help you to potentially get compensation.
Determining Liability in a Slip and Fall Accident
Were you careless, or was your slip and fall accident caused by the negligence of another party? This may not always be clear. In order for a property owner to be at fault in a slip and fall accident in San Jose, one of these statements must be true:
- The owner of the property, or a staff member working on the property, was directly responsible for whatever caused the area to be unsafe (a spill that was not cleaned up, an uneven surface that was not fixed, etc.).
- The owner of the property, or another member of their staff, knew about a potentially dangerous area or slippery surface and chose to ignore it rather than addressing it.
- The owner of the property, or another member of their staff, should have been aware of the potentially unsafe condition and had it cleaned or repaired as soon as it was discovered.
Often, liability is determined by common sense. Did the property owner put appropriate signage indicating that there was a spill until a member of the staff had time to clean it up? Did they leave a large crack in the steps to their building unaddressed and unmarked for weeks? If they were making “reasonable” efforts to keep their property safe and clean, then they may not be at fault.
Your level of carelessness may also affect the case. Were you staring at your phone and not paying attention to your surroundings? Or did you exercise reasonable caution? Sometimes your actions may affect your slip and fall case, but our San Jose lawyers are able to answer any questions you have.
Responsibility of Business Owners and Employers
Property owners have a responsibility to keep their business reasonably safe. This means that they should:
- Keep worksite clean and maintained (this can include non-slip mats, handrails, etc.)
- Provide training to employees to reduce chances of slips and falls
- Purchase housekeeping and spill cleanup products
- Have a workplace culture that promotes safety
Compensation for Slip and Fall Cases in San Jose
If you’ve had a slip or fall in San Jose and been hospitalized for your injuries, you may be able to receive compensation. This money usually goes toward paying things like:
- Hospital bills and other related medical bills
- Lost salary and wages if you were unable to work
- Pain and suffering
- Other related payments
When you speak to one of our slip and fall lawyers in San Jose, they will help you to determine what your options are in seeking compensation.
Building Your Case
After you have tripped or fallen, you can help build your case by carefully documenting the incident carefully when it happens. You can:
- Take photos. Pictures of the condition that caused you to slip or fall, as well as pictures of your injuries, may be used as evidence.
- Talk to witnesses. If possible, get names and contact info of anyone who saw the accident happen.
- File an accident report. If you were injured at work or a place of business, a security team or manager will often be able to file an accident report. You should keep a copy of this for your records.
Even if you don’t have all of these pieces of evidence, our San Jose slip and fall attorneys can work with you
San Jose Slip and Fall Attorneys Are Ready to Assist You
If you’ve been injured in a slip or fall in the San Jose area, get in touch with our lawyers. They are familiar with the relevant laws and they can work with you to get the compensation to which you may be entitled. Call (800) 800-0000 today for a free consultation.