A slip and fall injury is one of the most common causes of hospitalization in the United States. Whether the accident happened from a height or at ground level, such injuries can be serious and even fatal.
Causes can include anything from wet floors to uneven sidewalks, and in many cases, another party may be liable for your injuries. Even if you don’t know who’s responsible, our San Francisco slip and fall accident attorneys can answer your questions and help determine liability.
Factors to Consider Before Filing a Suit
There are many factors your lawyer must consider before filing a lawsuit. These include:
- Previous complaints about an existing hazard
- Determining the negligence of a property owner
- The avoidability of the accident
If you’ve suffered from a slip and fall injury, the San Francisco slip and fall accident attorneys at The Barnes Firm can help. Our lawyers can help you file a claim that could get you and your family the compensation to which you’re entitled.
Your Employer’s Responsibilities
All property owners are obliged to keep their home or business safe for customers and guests, and may be liable to an injured party in the event of an accident if found negligent.
Employers and business owners, in particular, have responsibility for:
- Properly maintaining worksites, including non-slip mats, handrails, and keeping everything as clean and in good condition as possible
- Providing training to reduce slips, trips, and falls
- Investing in housekeeping products
- Developing a robust safety culture and providing regular reminders of safe habits
- Outlining the steps for preventing slips, trips, and falls in an easy-to-follow format
Compensation for a slip and fall injury due to negligence can go towards paying:
- Hospital stays and medical treatment
- Lost salary or wages
- Pain and suffering
- And more
However, every case will be unique, making it critical to discuss your legal options with San Francisco slip and fall accident attorneys who are experienced in such cases.
California Slip & Fall Laws
There are many California legal doctrines and laws that could affect your case, the two most significant being the statute of limitations filing deadline for slip & fall suits and “shared fault” rules.
- Typically, California has a two-year deadline for filing slip & fall suits, although this deadline can be extended depending on your specific circumstances. Speak with our San Francisco slip and fall accident attorneys concerning the particulars of your case.
- Further, California’s laws concerning comparative negligence could give the other party a chance to blame the victim for the accident in full or in part. Contact a lawyer for more details.
Gathering Evidence in a Slip & Fall Accident
If you have slipped, tripped, or fallen from a height, there are several steps you can take to bolster your case. These include:
- Taking Photos. Pictures of the accident scene, as well as your clothing and any injuries, can be used as evidence.
- If someone saw the accident, get their name, address, and contact, as their testimony may help you.
- Accident Report. This applies to those injured in stores, hotels, or event areas. Most such places have a security team that can file an accident report. If not, ask for a manager who can document the incident to serve as proof of your injuries. Always make a copy of this report for your records.
Even if you didn’t take any photos or obtain statements, the San Francisco slip and fall Accident attorneys at the Barnes Firm will work with you to collect as much information as possible to support your claim.
The San Francisco Lawyers You Need
The Barnes Firm has the resources needed to find and hire the nation’s premier legal experts, among whom are some of the most experienced and knowledgeable legal minds in their fields. From vocational specialists to accident reconstruction engineers, our firm can rely on these experts as witnesses to help your case.
To learn more about how the San Francisco slip and fall accident attorneys at the Barnes Firm can help your slip & fall case, call our team today at (800) 800-0000.