You take the bus so you don’t have to worry. Someone else is driving and navigating the traffic, and you can sit back and read, work, or talk on the phone on your way to your destination. Finding and paying for parking won’t be an issue once you get there. The bus runs on a regular timetable, and it’s nice to be able to stay on a set schedule.
You send your children to school on a bus because it’s convenient. You can get yourself ready and out the door for work or for running errands, knowing there’s a service dedicated to transporting your child to the classroom on time.
You trust that the bus is a safe option. But sometimes, that trust is violated. Buses, like all vehicles on our roads, get in accidents. Accidents cause injuries. Injuries can throw your entire life into upheaval, not to mention stick you with a stack of medical bills.
It’s helpful to know there are bus accident attorneys in Oakland who specialize in protecting your rights after you’ve been injured in a bus accident. Let our lawyers at The Barnes Firm stand beside you and fight for the compensation you need to get back on your feet.
How common are bus accidents?
Unfortunately, bus accidents have become more frequent in recent years. As part of our daily practice, our bus accident attorneys in Oakland have seen the effects of these thought-provoking statistics and facts:
- According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which tracks statistics for large truck and bus accidents, the number of accidents causing injury increased by 62 percent between 2009 and 2015.
- There were 97,000 bus or large truck crashes in 2015, and in 2016, that number jumped to 119,000 in 2016.
- Between 2006 and 2016, on average, school buses were involved in the majority of fatal bus crashes (40 percent). Transit buses accounted for 34 percent, and intercity buses 13 percent.
- Common causes of bus accidents include driver impairment, driver fatigue, and distracted driving.
Traveling by bus is still considered a safe form of transportation, but it’s always helpful to be aware of risks. If you or a loved one has been involved in a bus accident, know that you’re not alone. Our law firm has been representing people like you for decades, winning millions of dollars on behalf of injury victims. That’s how we’ve built a successful practice as leading bus accident attorneys in the Oakland area.
What should you do if you’re involved in a bus accident?
Hopefully, you never have to confront this question, but if you or your loved ones have been involved in a bus accident, there are a few important steps you need to take in the aftermath. It can be difficult to keep your wits about you in traumatic situations, but filing a personal injury claim down the road will be a lot easier for you and your lawyer if you follow these procedures.
- Breathe. First, try to calm down.
- Help others around you, if they need assistance. Other riders could use a hand getting off the bus and to a safer place.
- Observe everything you can at the scene. If you are able, take a few moments to assess what has happened. Take some pictures and type a few notes with your mobile device, if possible. Talk to other passengers. Even if you’re shaken up after an accident, everything you remember about the situation could help you in the long run.
- Notify the police. In the best-case scenario, the bus driver or other motorists will have called the police to report the accident. This is essential.
- Visit a doctor. Going for a checkup after an accident is recommended, even if you don’t think you’re seriously hurt. Whiplash injuries and concussions can sneak up on you after motor vehicle accidents, and you don’t want to wait to have your situation evaluated by a professional and get an official record of any injuries.
- Have your injuries treated. Your health is the most important thing.
- Call the Oakland bus accident attorneys at The Barnes Firm to assess the merits of your personal injury case. Our law firm welcomes new clients for a free consultation. Having followed all the above steps will assist your lawyer in getting to work immediately to pursue just compensation.
Our bus accident attorneys in Oakland want to keep the roads safe and you healthy. When accidents happen, those responsible need to be held accountable and those injured need to be made whole. Our lawyers have the experience and resources to do that. Contact us today and see.